Did you see Engledow’s most recent visit to Indy Style? Donny Duke, Director of Design with Engledow Estates, stopped by the studio to discuss all the ins and outs of tackling a hardscape this summer. The most critical elements to a successful project are:
- Start with a great design – Designs have moved off the paper and into the 3D realm. Make sure your contractor is able to provide you with a detailed design of the project, including all materials and sample pictures when needed.
- Use a qualified contractor – You want to make sure the contractor you choose has the credentials to back up their work. Engledow Estates is proud to employ the only two Interlocking Concrete Paving Institute (ICPI) Advanced Residential Paver Technicians in the state of Indiana, and has a total of 4 ICPI Certified Paver Installers and 2 National Concrete & Massonry Association (NCMA) Certified Segmented Retaining Wall installers.
- Select quality materials for your project – Most of the cost associated with large projects comes from labor for the installation. Make sure to get what you want to ensure that you are happy with the results, both now and into the future.
According to Donny Duke, these are his 3 tips to people who are interested in this type of project:
- Start early – A large outdoor project is no different than an addition to a house. It will take a lot of planning and design work before ground is even broken. It can, at times, be very time consuming. High quality contractors, like Engledow Estates, often have backlogs of months at a time and by mid-summer, they are booked for the rest of the year.
- Think about what you want – Have an idea that allows the designer to customize it to your space, then step back and allow them the freedom to “make it work” with the space provided.
- You get what you pay for – Many outdoor projects involve the creation of an “outdoor living space”. This process is very similar to building an addition to your home. Make sure to budget accordingly, both in time and money.
If you have any questions, or would like some more information about Engledow Estates hardscaping abilities, please follow this link and fill out our contact form. You can also reach us any time at 317.575.1100.