When it comes to choosing an exterior contractor, there’s no lack of options—everything from a guy with a truck to a nationwide corporation. So how do you choose the right exterior contractor for your property?
It all depends on your needs—and something you definitely don’t need is going through the hassle and expense of hiring another contractor because you made the wrong decision the first time. That makes it extremely important to know the right questions to ask while you’re shopping around.
Most people looking for an exterior contractor are concerned primarily with cost. And while cost is important, there are lots of other factors that should be considered first.
Before you consult an exterior contractor, there are a few questions you should ask yourself to serve as a starting point. These questions should include:
- Do I need comprehensive turf care, or just mowing?
- New flowers and shrubs, or just maintenance?
- Tree care?
- Landscape design?
- Snow/ice removal?
Once you determine your needs, you’ll be able to establish whether a particular exterior contractor is the right fit by asking if they provide the services you require. But the questions shouldn’t end there. After you’ve determined available services, you should ask these seven critical questions:
- Is the company local? Local ownership means easier access to the people who are ultimately responsible for the business should you ever encounter problems or questions.
- Does the company have a good reputation supported by existing clients? You don’t keep clients year after year if you’re bad at what you do. Ask for references.
- Is the company staffed with certified horticulturalists? It may seem like we’re just “trimming trees” or “cutting the grass”—but there’s science behind everything we do. Ask about your contractor’s background. It matters.
- Is the company readily available? Whether it’s by phone, email, in person, or even social media, the easier it is to make contact, the quicker your questions get answered and your problems get solved.
- Can I contact the owner directly with questions or concerns? This is critical. We won’t speak for our competition—but you can always talk with someone named Engledow when you call us.
- What happens if I’m dissatisfied with the work? Is the work guaranteed in any way? Will you have to pay for sub-par work? How will it be corrected? Know before you buy, and you’ll avoid heartache later.
- Does the company have the manpower and equipment necessary to complete the job? Just because a salesperson can sell you a contract doesn’t mean the contractor can actually get the job done. Make sure your contractor is big enough and has the bandwidth to handle your business.
Once these questions have been answered, it’s time to ask about price. Just remember: you get what you pay for. And not all exterior contractors are created equal.
At Engledow, these are questions we have to answer, too. And while we’re more than happy to talk with you over the phone or via our contact form, we’d much rather do it in person. That’s because we feel that the best business is done face-to-face—and because nothing makes us happier than really getting to know our clients.
When you ask the right questions, you get the right exterior contractor. It’s that simple. To setup your free consultation, call 317-575-1100 or simply fill out the form below.